GoDuBois.com

Garden updates

junk

Mine is doing better that I expected with all of the rain. The peppers are under sized, but I'm getting peppers. Tomatoes are doing fine, but so far the only ripe ones are the cherry tomatoes. Peas are almost done, but I got a lot. The beetles really took a toll on my green and wax beans, but I'm getting some. I don't know if I'll get any zucchini, the plant is pitiful looking. I've got some yellow summer squash, I really hope my zucchini pulls through. Oh and the beetles put a hurting on my eggplant too. I tried edamame this year, and so far, so good. Onions and beets are very plentiful.

we never have any luck with onions. I may need some pointers for next year.     My peppers are the same steelnut very small plants but they are yielding peppers. Nothing like the previous years where I have huge plants and got arywhere from 10 to 15 plants on each plant over the season. Now it is still early so they may perk up.

well junk the gate to the garden is unlocked.

Anyone else hany pics.  Rank63 any pics on your end. especially those potato's. We will have to see if it worked. I am thinking my yield wont be to big condidering I let threm grow to big before sadding dirt. but they spurted up so fast it was hard to keep up with.

we never have any luck with onions. I may need some pointers for next year.     My peppers are the same steelnut very small plants but they are yielding peppers. Nothing like the previous years where I have huge plants and got arywhere from 10 to 15 plants on each plant over the season. Now it is still early so they may perk up.

well junk the gate to the garden is unlocked.

Anyone else hany pics.  Rank63 any pics on your end. especially those potato's. We will have to see if it worked. I am thinking my yield wont be to big condidering I let threm grow to big before sadding dirt. but they spurted up so fast it was hard to keep up

Go with a high nitrogen fertilizer for the beginning of the onion's growth and then a high potassium fertilizer when the bulbs start to form. We dump our wood ashes in the onion patch as well. 

Here are some potato's that we pulled up so far. They started on their own in the garden and we just left them grow. There must have been a few from last years garden still in the ground. Probably about 3 to 5 pound there are a few big ones. Probably should have waited to pull them later but we wanted to see if we had any and wanted some to cook up here this week. If we were going to keep them we would have put them in the basement where the temp is just right to harden the skin.

A few are purple potato's also. I am kind of anxious to see how the bin has been doing.

008.JPG

So far I've done 35 pints of yellow wax beans and we've cut and vacuum sealed and froze 20 dozen ears of corn.  A lot of our stuffing peppers have soft spots on them and we had to toss them, but there's still some looking good for stuffing.  Cantaloupe are doing well. Potatoes like those above. 

• 1 month later...

Our beets didn't do well this year.  I only got 15 pints.  We usually do around 50 pints and have beets to give away. The garden is all cleaned up except for 2nd crop of yellow wax beans.  If decent weather holds up should have some to can by the end of next week.  We'll have potatoes to last till spring, planted 50 lb.  Had really nice cantaloupe, juicy and sweet.  

Pulled the tater bin apart this afternoon.   Only taters in teh ground and not up through the bin like I thought was to happen.  did I do something wrong?   I waited till the plant grew some and only covered 1/2 at  time.  bought about a pound to plant and got about 8 pounds but not how I expected

There are a few possibilities here that I can think of. Some types of potatoes produce only at the bottom of the root ball and some will produce all the way up the root stem. It is sort of like determinate and indeterminate tomatoes although I don't know that they use those terms for potatoes. So the variety of potato that you planted might be the determining factor.

Potatoes also stop producing tubers when it gets too hot. Those 80 degree temperatures might have set things back. The bottom tubers might have formed when the weather was right and then the temperatures rose and that was it.

A plant will not make anymore top growth when the flowering starts. With the weird weather we have had flowering may have come early before the plant reached its full potential. The tubers are formed from the excess food that the plant produces. Stunted plant equals fewer tubers. 

You just never know what you are going to get when you garden. Congratulations on getting actual potatoes!

my garden is done.    Not many tomatoes, hot peppers did very well, squash died early, potatoes look like they are from mars.  not oval.   Green peppers out of 12 plants I got 1 pepper.   Really ?  Now I am looking for cabbage to make my pigs for winter.  Maybe too early yet.

Take a pickup truck to the Punxsy Borough Recycling center.  You have to call ahead to make an appointment.  They will load wonderful leaf mold into your vehicle for free.  Dig it into your garden along with the compost.  Your soil will soften up.

my garden is done.    Not many tomatoes, hot peppers did very well, squash died early, potatoes look like they are from mars.  not oval.   Green peppers out of 12 plants I got 1 pepper.   Really ?  Now I am looking for cabbage to make my pigs for winter.  Maybe too early yet.

I've given up on the big green peppers like California Wonders. The nights are just too cold for them most years. I've gone to the long yellow ones or the mini peppers. The long yellow ones are good for regular stuffing, stuffing with sauerkraut and pickling, cooking or salads. The baby ones are fun to stuff with cream cheese mixtures or whatever for appetizers.  I got an excellent crop of both this year. I even had some brown mini ones. I forgot I planted mixed colors and was happily surprised. Out of 4 plants of the bull nosed peppers we got maybe 7 or 8 full sized peppers. I keep trying but it really isn't worth the trouble. 

I plant late cabbage when I can get the seeds and it is ready. Quite a number of the plants succumbed to the early rains. Either the roots don't like the wet ground or we've got club root or nematodes. We usually loose a couple of plants each year but there were more losses this year probably due to the rain. We also had some soft rot among the cabbages. The red cabbage seems less susceptible to anything but the heads aren't very large. 

We just had different things grow well this year. No problem. We'll eat what we get. 

At the Mother Earth News Fair this past weekend they suggested that people start growing their peppers in black pots because they like hot roots!  I may try growing them in pots right in the greenhouse next year.  I don't use it after the seedlings are done other than to grow some sweet potatoes.

My green pepper plants are pretty healthy looking but the peppers are not as big as I am used to. I can't remember where I bought the plants, they either came from the group down by Charlie's or the greenhouse on Juniata Street Ext. The tomatoes and zucchini are still producing too.

Our salads will not be the same when I have to use store bought produce!

My green pepper plants are pretty healthy looking but the peppers are not as big as I am used to. I can't remember where I bought the plants, they either came from the group down by Charlie's or the greenhouse on Juniata Street Ext. The tomatoes and zucchini are still producing too.

Our salads will not be the same when I have to use store bought produce!

thats where we got ours too, dont rem the name though