GoDuBois.com

Just a simple question

mollycan

14 hours ago, mollycan said:

Wht are a lot if women using so many names these days?  Instead of Jasmine Broock. Its Jasmine Annette Reed Smith Broock. Or more??? Just wondering. 

It's not just women and it's not just after marriage or multiple marriages.  I've seen birth certificates where the parents have given the child 5 or 6 names.  I've seen women that have had multiple marriages and never drop the previous name/s, just keep tacking on the new one at the end.  

On 5/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, Petee said:

They are seeking attention, so if it makes them feel better, then they just follow the crowd and do it regardless of how it really makes them look, just like tattoos, smoking, drinking, etc.

Umm.  I am an educated professional and I have tattoos.  (I am also a former smoker.  I rarely drink and never to excess any longer because I grew up and don't like how I feel afterwards.)

I have the tattoos I have for me--each of them has very special meaning to me.   They aren't for vanity.  They are discreet and easily hidden because I am a professional and some people judge others for what they choose to do with their own bodies.  

No need to paint people with such a broad brush stroke.  

On 5/28/2023 at 2:45 PM, mollycan said:

Wht are a lot if women using so many names these days?  Instead of Jasmine Broock. Its Jasmine Annette Reed Smith Broock. Or more??? Just wondering. 

Depending on where the person originated from, it may be because it's a common name and it's a way to differentiate who is who.  I have ancestors whose last name was Smith.  I would imagine this "trend" may have been really helpful for John and Mary Smith.  

On 5/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, disgruntled said:

Umm.  I am an educated professional and I have tattoos.  (I am also a former smoker.  I rarely drink and never to excess any longer because I grew up and don't like how I feel afterwards.)

I have the tattoos I have for me--each of them has very special meaning to me.   They aren't for vanity.  They are discreet and easily hidden because I am a professional and some people judge others for what they choose to do with their own bodies.  

No need to paint people with such a broad brush stroke.  

Bravo that they are for you and in discreet places but our young people may not have that much common sense as to how they choose to aim their future and it's consequences. 

I think this falls right in with kids who are convinced that the pre-teen body (which almost all kids hate) in their youth may well mature at some time to their liking.  Then they can adjust as they see fit.  If they are old and mature enough to cut off parts of their body then they can also assume responsibility for the reactions and consequences of those actions that they will receive.

I am on the other side of the page in that I felt God did not make us to waste unusual amounts of money on our appearance, nor did I want to have people gawking at what wasn't the norm then.  I'm so glad that I had the sense not to do such a thing to myself.  I would have regretted and felt limited by it it as an adult.  I used to go eat at a place where the one waitress had some sort of a satanic face on her chest that I absolutely hated to look at.  Under her clothes when she's working is fine, but impressionable kids shouldn't have that stuff pushed in front of their faces, thinking it's the norm when they have not yet learned what the norm entails or where it will take you in life.  Education and financial responsibility need to be learned and earned first.  They also need to learn to respect the skin that God gave them and treasure the normalcy and health of it.  

I am always suspicious of any person who has vast amounts of tattoos that they choose to wear like a billboard.  I suspect that the statement they are making is a plea for others to admire them or to warn them to stay away when all they really want is to be loved and cared for by someone else.

I've seen cases where a daughter chose to carry on both parents' family names, and take her spouse's last name.   Those women we from families that didn't spawn a son to carry the father's last name so they took it upon themselves to make sure the name doesn't die off.

I fully respect the act of ladies keeping the family names alive.  One of my ex-GF's chose to keep her lastname after getting married because she was the only child, and that lastname is quite rare here.  There weren't any male cousins either to carry it on.

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for one of the sons to be given the mother's maiden last name as a middle name.   That is a practice that isn't common today.

13 hours ago, Petee said:

Bravo that they are for you and in discreet places but our young people may not have that much common sense as to how they choose to aim their future and it's consequences. 

I think this falls right in with kids who are convinced that the pre-teen body (which almost all kids hate) in their youth may well mature at some time to their liking.  Then they can adjust as they see fit.  If they are old and mature enough to cut off parts of their body then they can also assume responsibility for the reactions and consequences of those actions that they will receive.

I am on the other side of the page in that I felt God did not make us to waste unusual amounts of money on our appearance, nor did I want to have people gawking at what wasn't the norm then.  I'm so glad that I had the sense not to do such a thing to myself.  I would have regretted and felt limited by it it as an adult.  I used to go eat at a place where the one waitress had some sort of a satanic face on her chest that I absolutely hated to look at.  Under her clothes when she's working is fine, but impressionable kids shouldn't have that stuff pushed in front of their faces, thinking it's the norm when they have not yet learned what the norm entails or where it will take you in life.  Education and financial responsibility need to be learned and earned first.  They also need to learn to respect the skin that God gave them and treasure the normalcy and health of it.  

I am always suspicious of any person who has vast amounts of tattoos that they choose to wear like a billboard.  I suspect that the statement they are making is a plea for others to admire them or to warn them to stay away when all they really want is to be loved and cared for by someone else.

Living here in the sunshine, I get to see a bunch of tat's. Unfortunately  You see a beautiful work of art created by Mother Nature that has been ruined by someone who considers theirself an artist.  All I can think of is the millions of unfortunate  girls who would give anything to have that body made by Mother Nature. 

I guess I'm just old fashioned, but where I come from, when a woman marries, she takes her husband's last name and that's that.  I was willing to do that and to me, its part of marriage.   I do see some couples that do hyphenated names where they combine their two names, but when hyphenated, it makes one name, really. That's OK to me.  Some folks don't agree, I'm sure, but that's just my thoughts.

16 hours ago, Petee said:

I respect your opinion. 

The God I believe in gave all of us free will, and teaches us to not judge others.  That is His job.  

As an aside, I once saw a young lady with hair the color of the summer sky that was mad because people stared at her.  So I do think you have a very valid point about attention seeking.

50 minutes ago, Basset3 said:

"Look at me everyone...look at me, I'm beautiful!!  Stop looking at me that way!!!" ---Kristen Cavallari

"Look at my beautiful tattoos everyone....ain't I just wonderful??  Don't you say anything!!!"---Cardi B

Ain't it sumtin'? Like the hot chic with a bikini that covers nothing thinking she can pick and choose what man/woman is gonna be drooling over her.

Sorry girl, this baldheaded, beer gut is gonna get his fair share of what I see 🍻😘