GoDuBois.com

Arrest of Dubois City Manager John “Herm” Suplizio

block

4 hours ago, jaman said:

Sorry to say, but the only way to clean up is to scrub out the Mayor , Solicitor,  CITY Auditors,and the Council (everybody)and try to put fresh people in. People need to step up.

YES!  THIS!

Clean the slate.  The solicitor is sticking up for him!  All of them need to go.  

2 hours ago, pennstater said:

YES!  THIS!

Clean the slate.  The solicitor is sticking up for him!  All of them need to go.  

I agree.  The affidavit states Dubois is a class 3 city one of two in the state.  Class 3 cities are Led by elected city council members who appoint the manager.  The manager leads and appoints the chief of police.  The mayor reports to the manager.  The solicitor is probably chosen by the council and manager.  All a big happy family.

13 hours ago, pennstater said:

YES!  THIS!

I don't know all the functions of the solicitor, such as who she would required to represent first.  They are generally resopnsible to both the mayor and city council.  Is it the citizen's interest or the actions of the local government?  It probably gets messier due to friendships and other connections.  Typically, city attorneys handle civil matters...tax codes, ordinances, etc...and not criminal matters.  Not sure it would be ethical to represent both Suplizio personally and the city as a hired city attorney considering a huge conflict of interest.  So far, I have not  heard of involvement of any other lawyers.  As a city council member or even an employee of city offices, I would probably already have a lawyer on retainer and not depend on the city government to defend me.

49 minutes ago, mollycan said:

That wasn't the smartest answer to give.

Not the best answer, but may be truthful.  Depending on how local governments are set up, mayors can actually have little power or responsibility over day to day operations and are nothing more than figureheads.  Real power and decisions are through the borough manager who operates under the 'watchful' eye of the mayor and city council.  Most mayors and city council members do not have the skills or knowledge or training to actually run a town or city.  Mayors and council members most likely dont directly handle money and probably dont even have the access to do even basic functions like make deposits, authorize payments, or even sign a city check.

14 hours ago, pennstater said:

YES!  THIS!

Legally, might be the only thing they can do.  They probaly can't fire someone until allegations are proven without the possibility of legal repercussions in case he is cleared of all charges.

I saw a sample ballot and the mayor is running for reelection this year as a Republican. I  didn't see a challenger listed in the primary or any Democrat vying for the position. 

Also, it seems like a conflict of interest for the solicitor to represent both the mayor and the city in this case.

2 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Legally, might be the only thing they can do.  They probaly can't fire someone until allegations are proven without the possibility of legal repercussions in case he is cleared of all charges.

The City manager can be fired at anytime. There could be clauses in his contract that he would be owed a certain amount of money to get rid of him.  It would be cheaper for the council just to keep paying him then fire him for just cause once  he  is found guilty.

6 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The City manager can be fired at anytime. There could be clauses in his contract that he would be owed a certain amount of money to get rid of him.  It would be cheaper for the council just to keep paying him then fire him for just cause once  he  is found guilty.

Toni Cherry cannot represent Herm and the City.  She is employed by the city, and Herm would be a conflict of interest.  He will have to get his own lawyer.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Toni Cherry cannot represent Herm and the City.  She is employed by the city, and Herm would be a conflict of interest.  He will have to get his own lawyer.

I personally would not want her to defend me. His attorney is Bill Shaw (as he needs a local attorney) but his heavy hitters are a firm out of Pittsburgh. Also i'm pretty sure that after his initial arraignment his trail will take place in a federal court somewhere.

12 hours ago, BillyC said:

I personally would not want her to defend me. His attorney is Bill Shaw (as he needs a local attorney) but his heavy hitters are a firm out of Pittsburgh. Also i'm pretty sure that after his initial arraignment his trail will take place in a federal court somewhere.

Yes, when the FBI got involved, it became a federal case.  I want to know who else is going down with him, and whether this will improve the communication between the city and its citizenry.  Everything was always a secret before or tightly controlled.  Now we know why.  Now we also know who was the problem in the supposed DuBois/Sandy conflict which never really existed, other than the normal life-style differences between city people and country people, both of whom have to be able to survive.  

8 counts of fraudulent taxes. Federally that is  potentially 8 felonies of tax evasion alone.  Im surprised the state didnt make them felonies. The intent was there. That is enough to be sent to Club Fed for a long time. Let alone what the state is charging. If the FBI and IRS dont  push it, somethings up.

Well i just got back from the council meeting. Fairly large crowd. A few people spoke and just wanted to know how the council can sit there and say there is no money missing. Well where is it at then. One person asked strongly for them all to just simply resign. Another person then mentioned the watershed area and monies being taken out of there and then wondering just how safe is our water supply. The council said at the beginning there would be no replies given but rather they would consider what was being asked and then respond in a "timely" manner. Whatever that means. Then for the funny part. This woman spoke in Herms defense and wanted people to realize that all is not as it seems to money stolen. SHE is the same woman that was involved in some large money stealing out of the Pulaski club about 20 years ago. A lot of people didn't realize that. What a looney hypocrite.

1 hour ago, BillyC said:

Well i just got back from the council meeting. Fairly large crowd. A few people spoke and just wanted to know how the council can sit there and say there is no money missing. Well where is it at then. One person asked strongly for them all to just simply resign. Another person then mentioned the watershed area and monies being taken out of there and then wondering just how safe is our water supply. The council said at the beginning there would be no replies given but rather they would consider what was being asked and then respond in a "timely" manner. Whatever that means. Then for the funny part. This woman spoke in Herms defense and wanted people to realize that all is not as it seems to money stolen. SHE is the same woman that was involved in some large money stealing out of the Pulaski club about 20 years ago. A lot of people didn't realize that. What a looney hypocrite.

As I said before, this will prove interesting as to who comes next.

16 minutes ago, Tkel said:

Sad , sad , sad...these clowns are handling this like its a pack of gum stolen. ( or a couple dozen items from sheetz)

This is the FBI and they took two almost two years to sort out the evidence.  I would love to think they know what they are doing.  My only concern is who in the state government Herm might be linked to, and how that alone might affect the complete outcome.  No one really knows the complete story and how this may interlink with a mess of other entities.  When gambling is involved, there is no clear end to it.