GoDuBois.com

Arrest of Dubois City Manager John “Herm” Suplizio

block

On 5/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, Petee said:

Question?  From the embankment there should have been a LOT of interlocking wall blocks, plus the bricks that people donated with their names on them.  Where did they go?  They were not trash.

Yes. Where did they go?!

3 hours ago, Smokey said:

I don't know Ms Gabriel, or any of the other city council members, but what if she (Ms Gabriel) made that motion knowing it would not be seconded. Just wondering if, with all the turmoil and uproar calling for council to be completely replaced, she wants to appear to be the only one there on the side of the taxpayers so she stands a chance of retaining her seat. Just wondering???

I've considered that as well. The other members (excluding Bernardo who was at some sort of game and could't or chose not to hear what was going on , as she was on speaker phone) just sat there with their heads bowed. It appears that Dietz has no idea what is going on. If you want to serve on any kind of board or committee you at least should have some sort of input. Whether you're running for re election or not. Otherwise you're just a puppet.

3 hours ago, jaman said:

Read today's front page of the Altoona Mirror. And that doesnt include the running total of Herm's criminal  legal fees. There's your $270,000.

Just wondering why the city would be responsible for a private doctors clinic.

10 hours ago, mollycan said:

I dont understand how the Donated Stones disappearing has to do with the topic it is with..BUT YES..where are those stones?!!  People paid for those with good faith in honor of a loved one

I would also like to know why the healthy tree in front of the Handicapped Parking spaces at the Rose Alley (Luigi's) parking lot was removed, and where did the large stones from there go?  

7 hours ago, BillyC said:

I've considered that as well. The other members (excluding Bernardo who was at some sort of game and could't or chose not to hear what was going on , as she was on speaker phone) just sat there with their heads bowed. It appears that Dietz has no idea what is going on. If you want to serve on any kind of board or committee you at least should have some sort of input. Whether you're running for re election or not. Otherwise you're just a puppet.

Can you imagine the backlash for anyone who seconded that motion?  I suspect they're all scared for their lives!

I find it hard to believe that towns people are not going to meeting s and screaming for heads to roll.I was raised in the city and if I lived there I would be there every single day. It might not be that easy but they would be afraid. For a town that size paying someone that much money is ridiculous. And to continue to be paying for staying home is ridiculous.

• Administrators

Gant News

2023-05-10_16-02-57.jpg

Cherry was not present at the city’s request, according to Interim City Manager Chris Nasuti.

During the meeting, Council Member Shannon Gabriel made a motion to immediately terminate Cherry’s contract.

However, this motion died for lack of second.

Gabriel then made a motion to name Nasuti the city’s Right-to-Know (RTK) officer, which did go to vote. It passed unanimously.

RTK requests were an issue on Monday night as well as during the May 4 work session meeting.

At the work session, Bev Kurts of DuBois approached council for an update on her unanswered Right-to-Know request.

Per Pennsylvania Office of Open Records, law allows five business days for a response to be provided to a requestor.

Those five business days expired on May 1, the preceding Monday, said Kurts. Gabriel and Mayor Ed Walsh apologized.

Both Gabriel and Council Member Jim Aughenbaugh indicated council was aware of the issue, and it will be addressed.

Kurts asked if the work was just too much for one person, and suggested Nasuti handle the responsibilities.

Also, on Monday, Kevin Salandra spoke of his own complaint with his past Right-to-Know requests as a city landlord.

Salandra noted he was a previous auditor of DuBois City.

Salandra said he’d filed a Right-to-Know request around three years ago regarding John “Herm” Suplizio’s expense reports.

He detailed correspondence he received from Cherry, who stated Suplizio didn’t submit any expense reports in 2019. 

To avoid future requests, he said Cherry indicated she’d reviewed an additional 15 years of records with no record of reimbursements.

Salandra said Cherry went on to praise Suplizio for his generosity as he never sought any reimbursement from the city.

Salandra, however, said he’s read numerous media articles that indicate Suplizio was reimbursed per his contract.

“So, that’s conflicting information,” said Salandra.

Salandra said he’d filed a Right-to-Know request for Suplizio’s financial disclosure forms, and did receive four years’ worth.

There wasn’t any reporting of income like dividends and similar sources as required, he said.

Though possible, Salandra said it was unlikely that Suplizio didn’t surpass the $1,300 threshold.

Salandra acknowledged that council probably couldn’t answer all his questions on the spot.

Nasuti then asked Salandra to detail his questions in writing so they could be handled properly.

Gabriel blamed bad procedures, saying automatic reimbursements were part of Suplizio’s contract without any filing of paperwork.

Salandra said his Right-to-Know request got no results with reimbursements being treated as contract payments.

“I don’t feel my Right-to-Know request was handled properly,” said Salandra, and Gabriel agreed.

Beyond Right-to-Know (RTK) requests, questions were also raised about Cherry’s connection with the United Way. 

At previous council meetings, Cherry indicated that the United Way determined there wasn’t any missing money.

On Monday night, it was announced that Cherry recently showed up at the city building with a check.

Reportedly, it was written by the United Way totaling $100,000 that was city money.

According to Thursday’s meeting minutes, Jennifer Jackson questioned why Cherry had spoken on behalf of the United Way.

Jackson on Monday night sought clarification on why city money was at the United Way and why Cherry brought it back.

“You just had a chance to vote to remove Toni Cherry,” said Jackson.

Nasuti indicated the money was returned one week ago, and deposited into a brand-new bank account.

He noted the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General (OAG) was aware of this matter.

Nasuti also detailed changes and updates to how the city handles its financials.

He said the city has bonded insurance for covering crimes of city employees. 

There’s a general bond for all employees but the following list of employees are specifically bonded:

Finance Officer DeLean Shepard
Treasurer Lisa LaBrasca Becker
Deputy Treasurer Tom Nowak
Treasury Clerk Becky Hoover
Assistant Public Works Superintendent Joe Mitchell
Recently, these bonds were due for a policy renewal that was almost revoked. 

Nasuti said the city was able to retain coverage once it agreed that no claim would be filed over the Suplizio charges. 

The deductible still increased from $500 to $2,500.

Salandra had asked why the city wouldn’t file a claim given its circumstances.

Gabriel explained that it was either file a claim and lose insurance, or take a loss and keep insurance in the event future crime occurs.

All city bank accounts are now properly in control of DuBois City, including the Community Fund, said Nasuti.

All incoming money will go through the financial office overseen by Shepard.  Any outgoing checks will now require two signatures. 

The first signature must be either from Becker or Nowak.  The second signature must be City Controller David Volpe. 

Signature cards on all accounts at all banks have also been updated, according to Nasuti.

All incoming money will go through the financial office overseen by Shepard.  Any outgoing checks will now require two signatures. 

The first signature must be either from Becker or Nowak.  The second signature must be City Controller David Volpe. 

Signature cards on all accounts at all banks have also been updated, according to Nasuti.

“Just to make sure everyone knows, we’re still in a good financial situation here,” he said.

“I know circumstances might say otherwise, but relatively speaking, we’re still in good shape.”

Across all funds, he said the city still has a net operating fund of $1,204,769 as of May 1. 

There are still capital fund accounts for fuel maintenance, equipment and so forth.

Nasuti said the city will work on its revised 2023 budget due to unexpected costs it’s incurred, which will be complete by the end of May.

18 minutes ago, Pompeii said:

Nasuti said the city will work on its revised 2023 budget due to unexpected costs it’s incurred, which will be complete by the end of May.

unexpected costs or did you mean thefts

Sandy Township Supervisor Kevin Salandra was one of the first to recognize the city finances were not right. During the consolidation process the last year he continued to ask hard questions that the city refused to answer.

DuBois Council then conspired to have him (and township manager Shawn Aubaugh) removed from the consolidation process by unilaterally  picking a new Transitional Committee.( Toni Cherry was chosen to be on this new Committee.)   

Mr Salandra  is on the ballot this May for reelection. Please choose wisely on who will best represent Sandy Township. 

13 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Sandy Township Supervisor Kevin Salandra was one of the first to recognize the city finances were not right. During the consolidation process the last year he continued to ask hard questions that the city refused to answer.

DuBois Council then conspired to have him (and township manager Shawn Aubaugh) removed from the consolidation process by unilaterally  picking a new Transitional Committee.( Toni Cherry was chosen to be on this new Committee.)   

Mr Salandra  is on the ballot this May for reelection. Please choose wisely on who will best represent Sandy Township. 

You are right. And guess who the Chairman of the Consolidation Committee is, the infamous Treasure Lake  minister Rev Whitaker. He was following orders from Toni Cherry.  You have to ask why after a nice clergy career, now retired, why is he running against Kevin Salandra? What's in it for him? But remember,dare not question his faithful motives.

According to Jen Jackson, city council members get Health insurance and most of their deductible paid for by the city with your tax dollars.  The aren't even employees of the city.   She said Shannon Gabriel is the only one that doesn't accept the insurance.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, buschpounder said:

According to Jen Jackson, city council members get Health insurance and most of their deductible paid for by the city with your tax dollars.  The aren't even employees of the city.   She said Shannon Gabriel is the only one that doesn't accept the insurance.  Interesting.

I saw that also. Just another way to get the residents to pay.

i guess it technically is legal.

this from an article in a Lancaster paper

"Township supervisors and borough council members in the state can get municipal health care coverage or have their own private insurance paid for by local governments under a 1995 provision of Pennsylvania law.

While few elected officials here and across the state take advantage of the benefit, some do — to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars in coverage a year per person."

OK. Just got a message that Randy Schmidt (ex mayor) is drawing a pension from the city and is also still getting health insurance that the city is paying for. Not real sure of this but i'm just asking if anyone else heard this. 

1 hour ago, Gator11 said:

I saw that also. Just another way to get the residents to pay.

i guess it technically is legal.

this from an article in a Lancaster paper

"Township supervisors and borough council members in the state can get municipal health care coverage or have their own private insurance paid for by local governments under a 1995 provision of Pennsylvania law.

While few elected officials here and across the state take advantage of the benefit, some do — to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars in coverage a year per person."

Free insurance is how you get part timers to fill seats. 

On 5/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, BillyC said:

Just wondering why the city would be responsible for a private doctors clinic.

I suspect the city was trying to stop the opening of this drug treatment clinic. It's like people who have gotten themselves addicted to medical drugs aren't entitled to a doctor of their own.  Most people would be tolerant of addicts who shared the waiting room or a doctor, but some wouldn't, and addicts probably don't want to be seen going into a clinic of that sort.  This is a very good doctor who has dedicated his career to treating addicts and leading them to drug freedom.  

Since the Courier, to my knowledge, hasn't dealt with the story, the Altoona Mirror did, and said that the doctor won to the tune of many thousands of dollars which the city will now have to cough up.  Where does that money come from?

On 5/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, mollycan said:

Yes. Where did they go?!

They originally came from Kohlhepps.  Also. on top of the wall beside the steps. donors were asked to buy a stone engraved with their name.  Where did they go?

16 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The council members are not considered employees plus Sandy Township does not offer health benefits to their supervisors.

If you offer free insurance, someone will come and fill a seat just for the free insurance. Insurance is a huge expense especially to those living on a shoe string. If you can get free insurance for attending a meeting 12 times a year why not????

58 minutes ago, fedup said:

If you offer free insurance, someone will come and fill a seat just for the free insurance. Insurance is a huge expense especially to those living on a shoe string. If you can get free insurance for attending a meeting 12 times a year why not????

True it will make the DuBois Council position more desirable.(Especially paid deductible)   Too bad it was a secret benefit that was not publicize. Depending on how the health care benefits were added to the council it might have broke laws. 

6 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

True it will make the DuBois Council position more desirable.(Especially paid deductible)   Too bad it was a secret benefit that was not publicize. Depending on how the health care benefits were added to the council it might have broke laws. 

A quote from Gators post

I wouldn't really call it a secret. it's more of lack of complete info on purpose. 

I just brought up the possibilities because I have known people who have served on governing boards that joined just for the insurance.  So, offering free insurance, actually beneficial for the public being governed???  

2 hours ago, fedup said:

So I would assume that Jen Jackson, Elliott Gelfand, and Pat Reasinger plan to pass on the free insurance if they win since they want to clean DuBois up?