GoDuBois.com

nasty out

WMJ77

Time to mix up Cabbage Rolls or something else than takes forever to bake in the oven!  Boiling water on top of the stove helps too.

I pity the poor line workers who have to go out and climb around in this treacherous weather.  I know they choose it as their job, but still they are in serious danger while working on the lines in this weather.  Remember them with thoughts or prayer tonight as we sleep tucked in our beds and they struggle outdoors, in the bitter cold, in the ice, in the wind, in the snow and sleet, in the air or up a pole, all while working with electric.  They deserve our thanks.

6 hours ago, old3dogg said:

Still without power. Penelec failed bigtime on this one. 

No excuses. 

I thought for sure our electric would out but so far all is good. My generator is buried in the shed. I should have made sure it was all ready to go but as usual I procrastinated and haven't done it. Next week it will be warm I heard and I will dig it out and get it ready.

Petee I did break down and start my furnace around 2 this afternoon. I wasn't cold but I didn't want my furnace to freeze with cold air blowing down the chimney or any pipes I have that not benefiting from the electric heat.

Stay warm everyone.

Figured we'd move Christmas dinner to the wife's folks house. Dropped her off and went to Ace for a space heater. Came home and the power was back on. Soooooooo..

Went and picked up the wife and hauled everything back here. 

I'm gonna tell ya. The last two days have really tested my resolve. 

Screenshot_20221224-072527_Chrome.jpg

22 hours ago, Gator11 said:

I thought for sure our electric would out but so far all is good. My generator is buried in the shed. I should have made sure it was all ready to go but as usual I procrastinated and haven't done it. Next week it will be warm I heard and I will dig it out and get it ready.

Petee I did break down and start my furnace around 2 this afternoon. I wasn't cold but I didn't want my furnace to freeze with cold air blowing down the chimney or any pipes I have that not benefiting from the electric heat.

Stay warm everyone.

I forgot to turn up the furnace so we got up to 59-61 degrees all through the house.  I put a huge pot of water on the stove to boil and turned on the oven for a couple of hours.  It was no more than I might have used to bake something.  House went right up to 73 degrees!  I may even get my shower tonight!

I never left my house in Falls Creek with no back up heat Friday. I ran a steady trickle of water upstairs and down stairs and luckily no frozen lines being it got down to 34 degrees inside the house before the power FINALLY came back on about 10:30 Saturday morning after 26 1/2 hours. My furnace ran for 45 minutes before it finally got up to 70 degrees and cycled back on several time before it got everything else warmed back up, ie furniture, walls, and floors before settling down to more normal. It sucked!!! So I left town.

I know one thing, that much procrastinated generator over the years will be purchased after going through this. 

14 hours ago, Eastman said:

I never left my house in Falls Creek with no back up heat Friday. I ran a steady trickle of water upstairs and down stairs and luckily no frozen lines being it got down to 34 degrees inside the house before the power FINALLY came back on about 10:30 Saturday morning after 26 1/2 hours. My furnace ran for 45 minutes before it finally got up to 70 degrees and cycled back on several time before it got everything else warmed back up, ie furniture, walls, and floors before settling down to more normal. It sucked!!! So I left town.

I know one thing, that much procrastinated generator over the years will be purchased after going through this. 

Maybe someone on here has some excellent and experienced advice for what to look for in a generator.

Depends what all you have running on electric like heat, water well pump, dryer, etc.A generac generator about 14000 kW should be big enough to get by for most people.  A 14000 kW Generac generator is about $5000 at lowes and that comes with an auto power transfer switch.  They run on propane gas or natural gas.  So you need someone to both pipe in the gas lines and run the electric lines into you control panel.  The house electric needs shut off at meter so electric company needs to do that.  You can run your own  gas lines and electric lines if you have the know how.

I just need a generator capable of running the 1/4 hp 120V blower on my furnace, the fridge, and maybe a couple lights. I don’t need electricity for water hot or cold or the cook stove. A 4KW should be more than enough for emergency power.

14 minutes ago, Eastman said:

I just need a generator capable of running the 1/4 hp 120V blower on my furnace, the fridge, and maybe a couple lights. I don’t need electricity for water hot or cold or the cook stove. A 4KW should be more than enough for emergency power.

Think about an inverter generator.  They cost more....but they deliver a very clean electrical current.  My neighbor during Hurricane Ian blew out his PC, microwave, etc. because the regular generators' electrical output was very "dirty".